Since my early 20s, I’ve experience “the itch”. It happens nearly every three years. Many of you know what I’m talking about. The can’t-sit-still, ants-in-your-pants, environment shifting itch to change something in your life when it seems to be getting stagnant or stale.
The simplest things to change?
- hair color: once I went for Run Lola Run red…home dyeing…it was a disaster
- hobby: taking salsa dancing lessons made me come alive, a nice esteem booster too
- wall finish: I can’t tell you how many times I painted our living room wall (but my husband can)
For those with more conviction, some things may include:
- home: moving to a new space can feel like the start of another life chapter
- job: what can feel more different than spending most of your day learning a new objective, chumming around with new staff, making your place in a new way
- geographic location: this is the big stuff…disorientation, language barriers, and homesickness can all be challenges with this choice
So, what would happen if you threw the last three in a blender? What kind of life concoction would that be? Would it be tasty? Or pulpy and hard to swallow?
Come June 2012, my husband and I have made a choice to find out. We are leaving the comfort of our apartment (where we now call home), the security of our profession (teaching 15+ years), the familiarity of our location (currently Seoul, Korea going on year 4).
We’re not that young either. We’re nearing the end of our 30’s. And to top it off, we have been consistently talking about, working on baby making too.
It sounds crazy and feels liberating. This is it.
It’s our time to scratch the biggest itch of our lives.